Find a Therapist
Share this Blog
Asked & Answered: Read Therapy Tips from the TherapyTribe Professional Therapist Community.
Have you ever wondered if you need therapy and how to select the "right" therapist for you? Or, what should you expect from...
Dance Party for One: Real World Advice on Coping with Depression & Loneliness, Part II
Feeling depressed, lonely, and hopeless are not unusual emotional experiences for many of us. Yet it is something we rarely t...
Addiction Recovery In Paradise Setting: Concierge Private Villa Retreat
Cali Estes partners with Moffitt Wellness Retreat to offer: Concierge Private Villa Retreat Addiction Recovery In Paradise....
Groundbreaking New Research On The Science Of Attachment In Relationships!
In November 2013, Sue Johnson shared the results of a groundbreaking collaboration between herself and University of Virginia...
Doing something else while waiting!
If there is anything that this winter has taught us, it is patience. It seems it has either been really cold or really snowy ...
- August 2011
- September 2011
- October 2011
- November 2011
- December 2011
- January 2012
- February 2012
- March 2012
- April 2012
- May 2012
- June 2012
- July 2012
- August 2012
- September 2012
- October 2012
- November 2012
- December 2012
- January 2013
- February 2013
- March 2013
- April 2013
- May 2013
- June 2013
- July 2013
- August 2013
- September 2013
- October 2013
- November 2013
- December 2013
- January 2014
- February 2014
- March 2014
Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Depression and Anxiety
More and more clients are requesting recommendations and referrals from psychotherapistfor complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). These therapies, which range from nutrition to body work, are often done in conjunction medication, rather than as a replacement.
Harvard University researchers and psychologists found that more than half of those reporting anxiety attacks or severe depression used a form of alternative treatment such as herbal remedies, special diets or acupuncture in the past year, while only one-third visited a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker or physician. With the exception of chronic back or neck pain, depression and anxiety were the conditions that most frequently led people to try alternative treatments, according to researchers.
People with anxiety or depression who are attracted to alternative therapies tend to like self-administered strategies. About 20 percent of the respondents in the Harvard study who used alternative treatments reported visiting a complementary medicine specialist. The remaining 80 percent treated themselves, usually in the comfort of their own home.
The range of alternative therapies used by people with anxiety or depression is fairly extensive. The two most commonly used alternative treatments are relaxation techniques and spiritual healing methods. The researchers concluded that given this prevalence of alternative treatment, patients who seek a mental health professional's care should be routinely asked about whether they are using complementary medicine as well.
Other commonly used alternative therapies include exercise, herbal. medicine, nutritional therapy, and body work. When exercise is considered alternative it is usually some form of yoga or martial art. A large body of research shows that exercise elevates mood, relieves anxiety, improves appetite, sleep, sexual interest and functioning, and self-esteem. Meditation is usually an integral part of yogic and marital art practices.
Herbal medicines are well-known for their antidepressant effects. The most powerful and well-known is St. John's wort, a natural SSRI and weak MAO inhibitor. Kava-kava, ginkgo, and caffeine have also proven effective for some people with anxiety or depression.
Nutritional therapy involves treatment with dietary supplements. Certain vitamin deficiencies, most notably B vitamins, can cause depression. Examining diet and testing for nutrient deficiencies can help address this issue.
Body work can be effective in reducing many of the symptoms of both anxiety and depression. Acupuncture, acupressure, massage and other approaches can help induce deep relaxation.
Alternative medicine with psychotherapy can be an important part of a treatment plan for anxiety depression, particularly for people who like a holistic approach to wellness. Such therapies are intended to complement psychotherapy and -- income cases -- medication, not replace them.
Fredricks, Randi. (2008) Healing & Wholeness: Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Mental Health. Bloomington, IN: Authorhouse.
© Copyright 2014 by Randi Fredricks, Ph.D., therapist in San Jose, California. All rights reserved.