Mr. Harry Motro, MA, LMFT
Marriage and Family Therapist
Need a COUPLES SPECIALIST? I am dedicated to couples therapy, offer a variety of practical relationship tools, have couples training at the Master's and Doctoral levels, have real life experience (married 29 years!), and offer a scientifically-validated approach consistent with Biblical principles.
- t: 4088232822
- email to friend
Mr. Harry Motro Practice Specialty
- Anger Management
- Anxiety or Fears
- Christian Counseling
- Relationship Issues
- Sex Therapy
- Age Specialty: Adults
- Session Format: Couple
- Demographic Specialty: Christian
- Treatment Approach: Rational-Emotive
- Name: Mr. Harry Motro, MA, LMFT
- Therapist Type: Marriage and Family Therapist
- Fees: $140
- Accepts Insurance: No
- Company: Christian Counseling Center
- License #: 53452
- License State: California
- Years in Practice: 5
California Southern University - Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) program
Santa Clara University - Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology (Marriage and Family Therapy program)
University of Virginia, B.S.
My approach is to: 1) get problems safely out in the open, 2) identify themes of conflict and core issues, 3) teach tools for communicating, managing anger, and expressing compassion, and 4) apply these tools to restore trust and intimacy.
- 3880 S. Bascom Ave.
- Suite 101
- San Jose, California 95124
- United States
Hours of work
Mon-Thurs noon - 9:00 pm
Sat Noon - 5:00 pm
I am located at:
3880 S. Bascom Ave., Suite 101
San Jose, CA 95124
The building is near the intersection of Highway 85 and Bascom Ave, half a mile from Good Samaritan Hospital. The entrance is next to the Bascom Donuts sign.
Mr. Harry Motro Practice Description
As a therapist who works every day to help couples restore love to long-term relationships, I know how overwhelming and defeated you might feel right now. That's why my approach is to be gentle but also provide concrete tools that can give you hope.
WHAT I DO:
- I work hard to be caring and compassionate to BOTH of you.
- I actively try to help your marriage and the provide resources that you need to solve your marital problems. This goes beyond just clarifying your problems.
- I am active in structuring our sessions together.
- I offer reasonable and helpful perspectives to help you understand the sources of your problems.
- I challenge each of you about your contributions to the problems and about your capacity to make individual changes to resolve the problems.
- I offer specific strategies for changing your relationship and coach you on how to use them.
- I am alert to individual matters such as depression, alcoholism, and medical illness that might be influencing your marital problems.
WHAT I DO NOT DO:
- I do not take sides.
- I do not permit you and your spouse to interrupt each other, talk over each other, or speak for the other person.
- I do not let you and your spouse engage in repeated angry exchanges during the session.
- Although I may explore how your family-of-origin backgrounds influence your problems, the focus is on how to deal with your current marital problems rather than just on insight into how you developed these problems.
There is no simple formula to making a marriage succeed. Each marriage is an once-in-a-lifetime experiment in learning to be flexible and committing to respect another human being's needs as well as speaking up for your own. I have found that people who express their needs without attacking and genuinely listen to the needs of their partner have a good chance at making their marriage work.
Some of the specific tools which I offer to couples include:
- Anger management
- Relaxation skills
- Reflective listening
- Using "I" statements
- Ventilation sessions
- Fair fighting techniques
- Family-of-origin mapping
- Love languages
- Love lists
- Caring days
- Sensate exercises
- Parenting guidance
- Strengths inventory
- Affirmation skill building
- Building a shared relationship vision
I also work with couples on a variety of topics including roles and chores, financial issues, spiritual issues, sleep, sexual matters, jealousy, time management, in-laws, blended family issues, substance abuse or dependence, domestic violence, worry, forgiveness, and honesty.