Getting divorced is like getting thrown into a blender. Emotions run high. Everything familiar has changed. Here are 5 tips for coping with it all!
- First of all, before we can accomplish anything, we have to learn to stay calm and focused. Meditation, deep breathing, and mindfulness are just a few ways you can take down the emotions a few notches. Schedule time into your day for self-care. (No, this is not an option!)
- Second, focus on solving problems. Make these questions your divorce-coping mantras: “What is something positive and constructive I can do about this?” and, “How important is this, really?”
- Third, learn everything you can about what’s happening. Do NOT be afraid to ask questions if you don’t understand what the lawyers are talking about – they have their own language, and the legal system is a world where our own logic doesn’t always apply.
- Fourth, remember what result or benefit you’re looking for. What do you hope to achieve? Is what you’re doing going to help you get there, or be counterproductive?
- Finally, remember that others are going to behave the way they are going to behave – and we don’t have control over them. We can, however, control how we respond. Take the high road. Always.
These are some coping skills for getting through the divorce, but what do you do when you want to start dating again? If you want to avoid the relationship losers, psychic vampires, and mama’s boys that are out there, watch this video called, “3 Surprising Ways Your Self-Talk Sabotages Your Love Life.” You can find it at http://www.thequietzonecoaching.com/selftalk